Re: Returning to Mountian biking after a 14 15 year hiatus

Returned to a trail today, this one turned out to be more challenging than the previous one but i went in this time more cautious, I think I was a but too aggressive last time. This time I did much better, though this time the bike took a beating. the cantilever cable snapped leaving me 2 miles out with no rear brakes, fun on a trail you’ve never ridden. also my rear derailleur was out of adjustment a little and put the chain between the spokes and cassette. I nave restores several antique cars, my #1 passion so i have been a bit stubborn about doing my own maintenance, think it might have bitten me Brings me to 3 questions

1 What is that plastic thing behind the cassette called?

2 The Brake cable said Lee Chi, Finding Lee Chi Parts are few and far between leading me to believe they are no more, can a shimano cantilever system or another brand be easily retrofitted

3. the Cassette will have to be removed to replace the plastic piece, how hard is it to change from a 5 speed to a 7 speed, I know the shifters have to change but does the derailleur?

I defiantly want to fix the brakes no matter what but I’m not sure how far i really want to go with the Raleigh, right now i am finishing college, 1 semester left (returned to college at 29). If it has some good use left and its economical to repair everything, otherwise I’ll just keep it going till I’m in a position to replace it, as for the trek, I have new shifters but it will most likely be end of the week before i can install them.