The lake covers 17,000 surface acres and has 168 miles of shoreline at the normal elevation of 1010.00 feet above sea level. Ground breaking ceremonies were held in May 1966 and impoundment of the reservoir occurred in 1976. Construction on the recreation facilities concluded in July of 1980 with the completion of the Osage Cove Public Use Area. There are nine public use areas and two lake access points located around the lake for visitors to enjoy. Campers can select from over 300 family campsites, many of which are equipped with water and electric hookups.