Over Mountain Cycles and Pisgah Productions are excited to be partnering to bring you the 2019 Fonta Flora BARNBURNER!
The Fonta Flora Barnburner is a 50k mountain bike race that will test your endurance, skill and fortitude to press on as you ride through the heart-pounding trails of Lake James State Park and the Fonta Flora Trail. Each trail system has unique features to enjoy, but here's a little taste. LJSP is tight, fast and flowy, with ripping berm sections and did we mention feel the flow? Next the Fonta Flora trail opens up, but stay on your game. It's fast, fast, fast with tight corners, wide open sprints and enough flow to get the wheels well off the ground. Gorgeous lake views abound on this race along with mountain views that will inspire you to ride harder.
The Barnburner will start and finish at Fonta Flora Brewery's Whippoorwill Farm in Nebo, NC. After finishing this beautiful race, plan to enjoy a hand-crafted pint at the brewery with your fellow racers. Proceeds from the event will benefit further maintenance & development of the trails around Lake James!?Event details and scheduleSCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
7:00AM – 8:30AM Saturday – Registration and Check-In OPEN
8:45AM – Racer meeting
9:00AM – START!!!
1. Have Fun!
2. Racers must wear an approved cycling helmet at all times while on the bike.
3. Racers must complete the event on the bike they started on. No bike swaps during the event.
4. Racers may receive outside support only within 100′ of official rest areas.
5. Racers may receive support from other participants at any time.
6. Racers must stay in single-file except to pass.
7. Racers must stay on-course. NO SHORTCUTTING THE COURSE.
8. Electric-Assist bikes (E-Bikes) are prohibited.
9. Race numbers must be displayed on the front of the handlebars and in plain view.
10. All Federal, State and Local laws/ordinances must be obeyed by participants and spectators at all times.
11. The Race Director reserves the right to disqualify any rider for any reason deemed by race officials as unsportsmanlike or otherwise against the spirit of the event.
12. Rule infractions witnessed by Race Officials will result in disqualification.
Start/Finish is at the Fonta Flora Brewery’s Whippoorwill location.
Nebo, NC 28761
From Asheville: (using I-40)
From Charlotte: (using I-40)
Parking attendants will be onsite at 7am to direct traffic and parking. If you arrive before this, we might kindly ask you to re-park so everyone fits, nicely.
Start time is 9am!!!
Registration Cut-off: We are limited to 300 participants. It’s important to register early!!!! Barnburner registration will be CLOSING on 10pm Wednesday October 17th so we can get everything squared away. There WILL be same day registration for the Barnburner, but event t-shirts and socks cannot be guaranteed.
What bike to ride: Not sure which arrow in the quiver to bring? The Barnburner is more of an endurance race than technical challenge, so we would recommend few different bikes. It’s very common to see hardtails, short travel full suspensions and even gravel bikes on these trails! Long travel is not recommended, unless you just roll that way. Join one of the prerides to find out what the trail is like! Preride details are on the Overmountain Cycles Facebook Page.
Cut-off time: Cut off time is 3pm at the Long Arm Access off HWY 126 on the return trip from the Fonta Flora Trail. Riders past this time will be directed to finish the race on HWY 126 back to the finish line.
Food: Lil’ Guatemala Coffee Roasters will be onsite offering drip coffee pre-race and we’ll have super tasty post-race food too.
Bathrooms/Shower: Fonta Flora Brewery is equipped with bathrooms in their tasting room for your use. An outside shower will be provided for post-race clean up as well. Be courteous and clean up after yourself please!
Neutral support: Overmountain Cycles will be providing neutral support for race day participants. They will have limited tools and supplies, so bring the gear you need and please be prepared.
Post-race: Yeeeeehaw, you did it!!! Get yourself a Fonta Flora beer (one free with registration), some tasty food and hang with us.
The nearby Lake James State Park has two stellar lakeside campgrounds within 5 miles of the start. More information can be found at the park website.
There are also multiple hotels in Morganton about 20 minutes drive from Whippoorwill Farm. Airbnb and VRBO are excellent resources as well.
Sorry, no refunds.
|Date/Time||October 19, 2019 / 04:00:00|
|RSVP||No members attending yet. Use the button below to add yourself.|